Sunday, February 20, 2011

Microwaveable macaroni

When I was in grade seven I started going home for lunch. My lunches normally consisted of microwavable Kraft Dinner and a couple of granola bars.

One day during winter, I went home and put my Kraft Dinner in the microwave. I set the timer for 3 minutes and 30 seconds and went on the computer in the living room. When I heard the timer go off I waited for a few minutes before finally getting up and walking into the kitchen.

I started walking toward the microwave when I started smelling something funny. I looked toward the door and saw a cloud of smoke. My mind immediately went into 'Panic Mode'. I tried to think of any possible explanations for the smoke and the burnt-Styrofoam smell. The only explanation that came to me was "It must be some kind of knockout gas! Then they'll come in and finish me off!"


Before I could go into a full panic about a crazy killer gassing me, I realized how ridiculous it was. I pushed the idea away and  called my mom at work, since I still didn't know where the smoke was coming from. My mom was going to call the fire department, but decided to get my dad to check it out first.

Soon, the smell became unbearable. I went outside to wait for my dad. He was a little irritated and panic-y, but not very. I tend to over-exaggerate, so I don't think he expected much. He went inside and looked around a bit, trying to find the source of the smoke and the smell. He was leaving the kitchen when the microwave buzzed.

"what was that?" He asked. I responded, "Oh, it's just the microwave..." Only then did I realize where the smoke must have been coming from.

My dad opened the microwave door to reveal a Styrofoam bowl filled with macaroni that had been burned so badly it was black. I had forgotten to add the water.



and that's why I don't eat microwavable KD anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment